Tuesday, 18 August 2009

8x8 jiggy swap



After the 12x12 jigsaw swap I took part in on UKS earlier this year, I was eager to join in with the 8x8 swap. I've just finished my pieces, and can't wait to receive back my complete jigsaw. I feel that I used more techniques on this jigsaw, and played a lot more with ink/ paint.

The themes were
1. Musicals. I found this really difficult, as I'm not a big musicals fan, but I like how it turned out. I found some show programme images on the web and used them to create a background, then added a couple of painted acetate notes and a flower which I stamped with a text stamp.

2. Christmas. This was the first piece I completed, I painted the piece, then embossed silver snowflakes. I then stamped christmas trees, cut them out and added them, mounted on foam pads. I completed the piece with a metal embellie and a small piece of ribbon.

3. Vintage Love. I enjoyed doing this piece. I used patterned paper for the background, and added a strip of lace across the middle. I stamped the roses, and wrapped some mulberry paper round them, then used that paper also to make a couple of hearts.


4. Butterflies. This was my theme. I created a digi background using supplies from Designer Digitals, then stamped 2 butterflies on acetate. I painted one with Staz-on ink (using a cut n' dry nib) and gold acrylic paint, and added Stickles to the other.

5. Celtic. I loved the sound of this theme, but for some reason I had great trouble creating the piece that was in my head. I'm pleased with the final outcome though. I printed a celtic seal, then added leaf beads to artist wire to create a look of a slightly hidden celtic stone.

6. Fashion through the ages. I stamped on the background of this piece with Paperartsy stamps, then added cut out stamps of shoes. I then added the quote, and created a hanger from artist wire. I stamped a bag, cut it out and made the strap from beads, which I then hung on the hanger.

7. Faeries. It took me a while to decide what to do with this piece as it's not a theme I have any supplies for. I drew on a wing, then coloured it with Stickles, paint, ink and liquid pearls. I had a lot of fun mixing those all together to see the effects. I then added a stamped fairyland ticket.

8. News Headlines. I decided to go with the moon landing for this one as I am an astronomer at heart. I painted the jigsaw piece with a mix of black and blue acrylic paint, stirred together with silver stickles. I then added a chipboard moon, painted with liquid pearls, and a teeny American flag on it. I found a picture of the moon lander, and the front page of a newspaper from that date. I printed this image out, added some distress ink to yellow it, and folded it with some blank paper so it would look more like a full newspaper.

9. Mythical creatures. I chose the phoenix as the creature for this piece. I printed out an image, and blinged it up with sparkly pens and stickles. I added some stickles dots on the background too to look like stars. I then printed out the phrase, and burned the edges with a match.

4 comments:

misteejay said...

Chrissy, this is beautiful.

Toni :o)

elliemook said...

Gorgeous puzzle pieces, I think the moon landing one might be my favourite x

Maureen Reynolds said...

That's an amazing project! I'd love to hear more about it, as to where the original pieces come from.

Elemeno said...

Auntie Margaret would be deliriously happy at the results.